Friday, July 3, 2009

Flip Charting, Pay-as-you-go Phones, and Electric Shavers

So far, so good. I have been spending time getting to know a great group of people in Austria. I will tell you, though, that this is HARD WORK. My life has been revolving around flip charts. Yep, you've got it. The old school version of PowerPoint. We don't have AV access in our leadership groups, so when the students get here in a few days, the fun begins with giant flip chart paper that we have each made into slideshows. I never appreciated what PowerPoint provided until this week.

I also made the mistake of thinking that when I bought my new cell at .08 Euro (8 Euro cents) per minute that eight cents would be the rate for calls to the US. Not the case. I put 25 Euro on the phone (about 600 minutes). Yep, about 30 minutes of calls and the thing is plum out of money. All I can do is laugh at myself for being ethnocentric and thinking that the rate would be one rate, even to call the US. I got what I deserve, and now I'll have to put more money on.

Tomorrow is the last day of training and then 270+ students arrive from 43 countries. 51% of them are from outside of the US, so I am very excited about the interactions to come. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my nerves, but I am keeping them under control...sort of.

One last funny thing of the day: I went to shave tonight using my electric shaver. I used an adapter because adapters are supposed to do the work, right? Wrong. About two strokes in, the shaver DIED. Died when I had a huge chunk of beard now missing. What option did I have other than to shave with a real razor? I haven't used one of those in months because I hate them. Just my luck. I have decided I will boycott shaving, and this time, when EVERYONE asks me if my razor broke, I will be able to respond affirmatively.

I am off to bed - its almost 1:00am in Vienna and I have to be up at 7:30. Sending good wishes to everyone.

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment