Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Joining the Blog World

I have officially decided to join the world of blogging. I have read enough blogs from other people that it's now time to try my hand at it. This came about for two reasons:

1. I am procrastinating - this project that is due tomorrow is in need of some serious revision and refining, but this seemed like more fun. As if browsing Facebook for the last 20 minutes wasn't procrastination enough.
2. I am about to travel to Europe for 3 weeks with 300 high school students and decided I might try to keep up with a blog while I'm gone.

To be honest, #1 is the real motivating factor.

Let's talk title. I decided to call my blog The Persistence of Memory after a painting by Salvador Dalí (La Persistencia de la Memoria). It is a really cool piece - I think most everyone would recognize it. It's the one with the clocks that are melting and oozing away. Lots to think about with this painting - but in the end, I think it is Dalí's way of reminding us that time, whether we want it to or not, slips away. Though I doubt he was a general optimist, this painting, in a weird way, makes me want to hold on to time and enjoy the experiences that come my way.


Since this is my first post, and because it is 10:20 pm, and because I still have hours of work left to do, I am going to publish this and see if I did it correctly. I am (surprisingly) looking forward to this weird concept of blogging...

Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment